Cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside with chicken broth.
Slice leeks to make two cups (500 mL) using all of the white and some of the green.
Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add sliced leek and minced mint and sauté until translucent – about 3 minutes.
Pour in chicken broth, fresh squeezed lemon juice and the frozen green peas. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add chopped chicken and baby spinach and simmer 3-5 minutes until spinach has turned bright green. Season with salt and pepper. If you use a home-made broth you may need less, or no, salt. You can also add more fresh lemon at this point to suit your taste.
To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and a sprinkle of sliced chives.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken breast(s), chopped (leftover or deli roasted)
- 2 qt low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) leek(s), fresh, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mint, fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 4 cups (1 L) green peas, frozen
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach, fresh
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 sprigs mint, fresh (optional garnish)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chives, fresh, sliced (optional garnish)
Adding an acid to the broth will help to keep the vegetables green. Don't overcook the peas or you will lose the bright green colour.
If you need a gluten free version, choose a broth that does not contain gluten.