Make a marinade by combining half the olive oil with the garlic. Add chicken strips and stir to coat. Refrigerate for at least two hours before cooking.
In a saucepan, combine all of the stir fry sauce ingredients except the coriander leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and add coriander. Set aside. This sauce may be prepared in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for one week.
In a large skillet or wok, heat the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil. Add marinated chicken strips, seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook until almost done. Add vegetables, beginning with those requiring the longest cooking time. Add stir-fry sauce and simmer until vegetables are just cooked.
Serve with Oriental noodles, tossed with chopped coriander leaves, salt and pepper. Sprinkle stir-fry with toasted sesame seeds and garnish with whole coriander leaves.
- Serves: 6
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into ¼” strips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 cups (1.5 L) any combination of stir fry vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower florets, bean sprouts, chopped celery, thinly sliced par-cooked carrots, bok choy julienned, red and yellow bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms).
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sake or rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh coriander leaves, chopped