Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add chicken, and cook until nicely browned - about 6 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add sliced garlic, diced onion and sliced carrots. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened - about 4 minutes.
Cut the Swiss chard leaves and stems across the grain. You needn't remove the central vein as they cook tender in this dish.
Stir in the Swiss chard, chicken broth, lemon peel, minced rosemary, brown rice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
Arrange chicken on top of rice. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and most of the broth is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
Remove chicken and serve on top of the swiss chard and rice. Garnish with fresh rosemary and lemon wedges (optional garnishes).
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 2 carrot(s), medium, sliced
- 8 cups (2 L) swiss chard, stems and leaves, sliced
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) short grain brown rice, dry
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 sprigs rosemary, fresh, optional garnish
- lemon, cut into wedges (for garnish)
If you want a gluten-free version make sure you use a gluten-free chicken broth.