Prepare the vegetables. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Slice peppers into strips and cut mini potatoes, skin on, in half. Set aside.
Cut the kolbassa sausage in half lengthwise. Remove casing (peel). Slice into half moon pieces about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thick. Cut chicken breast into 1 inch cubes (2.5 cm). Set both aside.
Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Fry kolbassa until well browned on both sides. Add diced onion, minced garlic and chicken and stir well.
Sprinkle over chili powder, ground cumin, ground allspice, dried oregano, red hot chili pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the can of diced tomatoes with juices, chicken broth and honey and stir well. Add the reserved mini potatoes. Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes. emove lid and cook and additional 20 minutes to reduce juices.
To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream (or thick Greek yogurt) and a sprig of parsley or your favourite fresh herb (optional garnish).
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, diced
- 4 garlic, cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, fresh, medium, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, fresh, medium, sliced
- 2/3 lb (0.4 kg) mini potatoes, skin on
- 250 g chicken kolbassa sausage
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (about 450 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) allspice, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dry
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) red hot chili pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 28 fl oz (830 mL) tomatoes, canned, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth, low sodium, ready-to-serve
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) sour cream 14% MF (or thick Greek yogurt)
- 6 sprigs parsley, fresh (optional garnish)
If you require a gluten free version of this recipe make sure you use a gluten free Kolbassa.