Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté until browned, 4 minutes. Add roasted red peppers, thyme, oregano, and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes until softened. Remove from heat.
Add milk to a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Gradually whisk in polenta. Add ½ teaspoon (0.5 mL) of salt. Continue to whisk over a simmer for 7 minutes until thickened. Use a long handled spoon or whisk to avoid splatters from the polenta.
Remove from the heat. Whisk in half the cheese until melted. Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes. Whisk in sausage mixture and eggs. Pour into an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) oven safe baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining goat's cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dish has cooled; about 1 hour and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Uncover the dish and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or until set. Preheat the broiler to high and broil for 3-5 minutes until the top of the polenta is toasted. Let the polenta stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken fennel sausage, casing removed and discarded
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 4 cups (1 L) skim milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked quick-cooking polenta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) freshly grated goat’s cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray