Remove and discard skin from chicken. Heat oil in a large wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Add to saucepan, half at a time and cook turning until golden brown, adjusting heat as necessary, about 4 to 6 minutes in total. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar and Italian seasoning. Bring mixture to a boil. Nestle chicken into tomato mixture in pan, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, turning chicken occasionally, until chicken juices run clear, about 25 minutes. Stir in artichokes and zucchini, cover and simmer until zucchini is barely tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in parsley and olives if using. Great served over rice or egg noodles.
- Serves: 6
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken pieces, such as legs and thighs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz (795 g) can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 6 oz (175 g) jar marinated artichoke halves, well drained
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) black olives, pitted and halved (optional)