Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together ground chicken, cooked rice, beaten egg, and minced garlic. Pat out into bottom and sides of 10 inch (25 cm) pie plate.
Bake for 20 minutes. Take out of oven, drain off any liquid and discard.
Spread top with your favourite pasta sauce and any pizza toppings such as sliced mushrooms, red or green peppers and onions. Sprinkle with oregano and top with shredded cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or longer until cheese melts and top starts to brown.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) long grain brown rice , cooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, medium
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pasta sauce
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onions, diced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 cup (250 mL) part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
This is a healthy remake of a 1960’s recipe. Think of it as pizza meatloaf! The meat is spread out in a pie pan so it cooks quickly. The recipe also works with breadcrumbs instead of rice and salsa instead of pasta sauce.