Finely dice the green pepper and onion and add to a mixing bowl. Add mashed potatoes, ground chicken, salt, cayenne pepper (optional), black pepper, poultry seasoning and one egg. Mix until well combined. Clean hands work best.
Measure out ½ cup (125 mL) portions to make 8 patties. Gently round the patties and flatten to ½ to ¾ (1.5-2 cm) thickness.
Combine flour and paprika on a plate and spread out. Push patties into flour on both sides.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in non-stick skillet. Fry four patties at a time (two batches) over moderate heat until lightly browned on each side - about 5 minutes per side. Place on a plate and keep warm in a low oven.
Poach eggs while patties are cooking.
To serve, top each patty with a hot, well-drained poached egg. Dust with paprika and serve at once.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1/2 green pepper(s), finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion(s), finely diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) mashed potatoes, prepared with milk and butter/margarine
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1 egg(s), medium
- 8 egg(s), medium
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sorghum flour, whole stone ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sunflower oil
If you don't need a gluten free version substitute whole wheat flour.