Pour broth into a large saucepan and set over high heat. Chop the onion and add. Stir in all the seasonings. Finely chop the jalapeno and add. Peel the carrots, thinly slice and stir in. Cover and adjust heat so broth gently boils and cook 15 minutes.
Meanwhile if using chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces. After the broth has cooked 15 minutes, stir in the thighs, celery and rice. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Then stir in the tomato and cooked chicken if using. Cover and continue simmering until chicken is hot, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander. Taste and add salt if needed. Soup will keep well in the refrigerator for at least 4 days.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 10 cups (2.5 L) chicken broth
- 1 onion, large
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin, ground
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 4 carrots
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) long grain rice
- 1 tomato, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) coriander, fresh, chopped
- salt, to taste