Cut the fennel into quarters and wash under cold running water. Dice into bite size pieces and set aside. Reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of the green frond for garnish.
Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the fennel and diced red onion and sauté until the vegetables are soft—about 5 minutes. Stir in diced potatoes, chicken broth/stock, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and rosemary. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Puree half of the soup until smooth. If you like a creamier soup puree it all. Add cooked or leftover roast chicken to the soup, stir and heat until warmed through.
Lightly toast the fennel seeds in a non-stick skillet for 2–3 minutes over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to move them around so they do not burn.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with toasted fennel seeds and some pieces of the minced green fennel fronds.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 fennel bulb, small
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 red onion(s), medium, diced
- 2 red potatoes, medium, diced, with skin
- 8 cups (2 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rosemary, dried
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rosemary, fresh
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken breast(s), cooked, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fennel seed
Substitute 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of fresh rosemary for the dried.