Cut chicken livers in half and remove small bits of fat. Set aside. In a 2 cup (500 mL) casserole, combine butter, onion, apple, thyme and garlic and saute on med-high for 5 minutes or until apple is tender.
In a 8 cup (2 L) casserole, heat white wine 3 to 4 minutes to reach boiling point.
Pierce chicken livers repeatedly to perforate membranes. Place livers in the hot wine. Cover and cook at full power 3 to 4 minutes. Livers must be pinkish inside. Stir and drain well. Discard cooking juices.
In a food processor, process apple-onion mixture until reduced to a purée. Add chicken livers, as well as brandy and other seasonings. Finally, add the cream.
Place pâté in a small earthenware or glass mould. Sprinkle with parsley, cover and refrigerate 2 hours before serving. This pâté will keep three days in the refrigerator.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken livers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion(s), small, chopped
- 1 apple(s), peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brandy
- 0.5 tsp (0 mL) salt
- 0.25 tsp (0 mL) allspice, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
- 0.25 cups (0 mL) 35% (whipping) cream