Cut chicken legs into drumsticks and thighs.
Heat oil in a deep skillet and sauté the chopped onion until lightly browned. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, cumin, ground coriander, ground cardamom, pepper and cinnamon; stir fry 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and cook until the juices have evaporated (about 10-15 minutes).
Add the lentils. Mix well and add the water. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is tender and fully cooked (about 30 minutes) or until a meat thermometer inserted into the chicken pieces reads 165°F (74°C).
Meanwhile, prepare basmati rice according to package instructions.
Sauté fennel seed for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add rice and stir to brown.
Remove chicken and lentil mixture from heat. Take chicken pieces out and put on platter. Mash lentils until smooth.
Add eggplant, spinach, cilantro, salt and brown sugar. Return chicken to pan, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add a little water if the gravy is too thick. Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with finely sliced onion rings, lemon slices and serve with rice.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 6 chicken legs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 red onion(s), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger, freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) turmeric
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coriander, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cardamom, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cinnamon
- 4 tomato(es), chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils, dried
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) brown basmati rice, dry
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 2 cups (500 mL) spinach
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- onion(s), thinly sliced, for garnish
- lemon, sliced, for garnish
This dish is delicious reheated for lunch the next day.