Drain water from fresh bocconcini and cut each ball into two so you have 16 pieces. Place in medium size bowl.
Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper and minced basil to cheese. Toss gently to avoid breaking up the cheese balls.
Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into 16 uniform chunks about 1 inch (2.5 cm) square. Poach chicken in enough water to cover until cooked through. Remove from pan. Add chicken to the marinated cheese and toss. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, and preferably overnight.
To assemble thread an olive, a cherry tomato, a chunk of chicken wrapped in a whole basil leaf and then a half piece of cheese (flat side down so they stand up). Make the rest of the party picks this way. To serve spread salad greens over platter and arrange skewers standing up. Serve extra marinade in the middle in a small bowl with a spoon.
- Serves: 16
- 16 party picks about 4 inches (10 cm) long
- 0.5 lb (0 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cooked
- 0.5 lb (0 kg) bocconcini (fresh mozzarella), light, 14% mf, 8 units per tub, drained
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil, fresh, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 16 leaves basil
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 16 black olives, pitted
- 2 cups (500 mL) mixed salad greens
You can be creative with the vegetables and herbs you use in the party skewers. Cucumber, small mushrooms and zucchini also work well. You can also use leftover cooked chicken.