Preheat oven 375°F (190°C). Oil casserole or spray with vegetable oil cooking spray.
Cook rice in unsalted water according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
Beat eggs with milk in large bowl. Add to rice.
Grate the cheese and add one cup to rice & egg mixture and reserve other cup (250 mL) for the top of the casserole.
Slice mushrooms. Shred Swiss chard across into ½ inch (1.25 cm) ribbons. The centre veins in the chard are edible. Cut chicken breast into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion with the chicken and stir and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in sliced mushrooms and chard and sauté a few minutes more until chard is wilted. Sprinkle with salt. Mix into the egg & rice mixture along with the shredded basil and thyme leaves.
Pour into the prepared casserole. Cover with remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes in preheated oven or until cooked through and lightly browned. A knife inserted into the centre of the casserole should come out clean.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 cups (1 L) brown rice, cooked
- 4 eggs, medium
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, diced
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) brown mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) swiss chard, fresh, sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil, fresh, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh