Cut chicken into pieces in half (where possible). Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels.
Heat oil in a large skillet and brown chicken pieces, Remove chicken and place in a large casserole or paella dish. Return skillet to heat and add onions and garlic. Cook until tender and fragrant.
Add rice and combine well. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil.
Combine with chicken in casserole and season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF or 74ºC.
Uncover and stir gently. Arrange red pepper strips, olives and cheese on top. Sprinkle with half of the herbs. Cover again and bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining herbs.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 6 chicken pieces, bone-in
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) long grain rice
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) tomatoes, fresh, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 8 oz (230 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) black olives, preferably Kalamata
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) basil, fresh, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped