Place chicken thighs in plastic bag; set in bowl.
In saucepan, heat oil and butter; add shallots and garlic, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
Add jelly, wine, stock, orange zest, mustard and ginger. Heat only until jelly has melted. Remove from heat; let cool to lukewarm.
Pour marinade over chicken.
Press air out of bag and secure with twist tie.
Marinate at least 3 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Drain marinade into saucepan, bring to boil; simmer 5 minutes, reserve.
Place chicken thighs, skin side up, on greased grill about 5 inches (12 cm) from heat.
Cook over medium-hot coals (medium-high on gas-fired grill) for 20 minutes, brushing occasionally with marinade.
Turn and cook 10 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shallots, finely-chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red currant jelly
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest, grated
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ginger, ground
For extra rich flavour, marinate overnight.