Spray large casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium high temperature.
Add chicken and cook, turning to brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Spread mustard over chicken pieces; add warm broth, vinegar, cloves and carrots; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes. Add apples and cook 5 minutes. Add cabbage, stirring into liquid.
Cook, covered, about 10 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
With slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to warm serving bowl and keep warm.
Stir applesauce into liquid; boil on high temperature 5 minutes and pour over chicken and vegetables.
Serve with brown rice, if desired.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 whole chicken, cut in parts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg, ground
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 3 carrot(s), peeled and sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) pepper
- 6 apple(s), peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) cabbage, shredded
- 1 3/4 cup (440 mL) low-sodium chicken broth, warm
- 1 cup (250 mL) applesauce