Clean livers by separating into lobes, then trim of all fat and connective tissues. Cut large lobes in half.
Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and garlic. Saute, stirring often, until tomatoes start to soften a little, about 5 min. If garlic starts to brown, lower heat.
Add livers and capers. Pour in about 2 tablespoon (30 mL) of liquid from the caper bottle. Sprinkle with basil. Stir gently until livers are done as you like, 5 to 7 min. Stir in the vinegar and serve over fresh spinach, rice or noodles. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Serves: 3
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken livers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried leaf basil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar, preferable white
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped fresh basil