Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium high heat. Sauté diced onions in oil until soft. Add stock and bring to a boil.
Stir grated zucchini into the boiling stock along with the chicken thighs and pasta. Turn down heat and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from pot and cool. Cut into bite-size pieces. Add back to soup.
Season soup with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper, sea salt, thyme, rosemary and parsley. The amount of salt you need will depend on the saltiness of your broth. Homemade is usually less salty than purchased.
Mix sour cream with milk in a squeeze bottle or a plastic resealable bag. If using a bag, cut off the corner. To serve ladle into bowls and decorate with a swirl of sour cream. Create a decorative pattern such as a spiral. Top with a small sprig of thyme (optional garnish).
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) red onions, chopped
- 8 cups (2 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat macaroni
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) thyme, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) light sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) 2% milk
- 8 sprigs thyme, fresh
This pretty, fresh-tasting soup can also be made using cucumber instead of zucchini.