Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add chicken, sprinkle with salt, coriander, garlic powder and cumin and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in curry powder, cook for 2 minutes to toast. Add in potato, carrot and parsnip. Add chicken broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook until potatoes and parsnips are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir lime juice with cornstarch until dissolved. Stir in to chicken mixture and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat and stir in spinach.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cumin
- 1.5 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1.5 cups (250 mL) packed baby spinach