Set the Instant Pot to Sauté on high heat (push sauté button twice) and heat the oil. Add in the Chicken thighs and cook for 3 minutes or until just browned. Stir in onion and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Cancel Sauté mode and immediately stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) enchilada sauce, the chicken broth, Cajun seasoning and salt. Tuck the chicken thighs into this sauce, laying them flat against the bottom of the instant pot. Then layer on top of the chicken the beans, rice and lastly the green peppers. Do not mix. The rice needs to be away from the bottom of the pot otherwise the rice will burn and stick.
Cover and set to manual, cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (push pressure cooker button twice). Let Instant pot naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before switching to the venting position to release steam. Make sure the steam is fully released and the pressure valve has floated down before opening the pot.
Stir the dish together and pull chicken thighs apart using the back of two forks and stir together again. Serve burrito mixture either in a bowl or wrapped up in a soft tortilla wrap. Top with tomato, avocado, cheese, salsa, sour cream and remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry basmati rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) black beans
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro