Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chopped leek and minced garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the diced red pepper and sauté another few minutes. Add to slow cooker.
Add chili pepper flakes, dill weed sprigs, bay leaf, cinnamon, tomatoes with juice, lemon juice, zest of lemon, salt and chicken broth and stir well to combine. Add skinless, bone-in chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours (or on high for 4-5 hours) until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook orzo in a separate saucepan until al dente - about 10 minutes. Drain.
Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
Remove chicken and dill sprigs from slow cooker and cool. Take meat off the bone and dice into bite-size pieces.
Brush pitas with olive oil, cut into small pie shaped slices and place on baking pan. Cook pita’s in oven until crisp.
Add cooked orzo to soup along with chicken, baby spinach and minced fresh dill. Heat another 15 minutes until soup returns to boil and spinach is just cooked.
Serve in individual bowls with lemon wedges and pita crisps on the side.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 1/3 lb (0.7 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) leek(s), light green and white part, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper(s), seeded, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 4 sprigs dill, fresh
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 5 cups (1.25 L) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) orzo
- 8 cups (2 L) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dill, fresh, minced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 whole wheat pita, large