Place all the ingredients in a large stockpot and add 8 cups (2 L) cold water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming away any foam that surfaces.
Simmer uncovered for 3 to 4 hours, adding more water if necessary to barely cover.
Carefully strain out all the solids, using a colander over a large bowl. Strain again through a fine strainer if desired. Add salt to taste.
Skim off fat from the top, or chill overnight. The solidified fat can then be easily lifted off.
- Serves: 4
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 lbs (1.9 kg) chicken parts
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- salt, to taste
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Vietnamese-style Broth Variation:
- Simply replace the last five ingredients with the following seasonings.
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh chopped ginger
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
For easily portioned use later, freeze cooled broth in ice cube trays and store in a plastic bag when solid.