In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, cayenne pepper and thyme and stir until raw flavour of the flour is cooked out, about 1 minute more.
Stir in the stock, rice, chicken and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat; stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in evaporated milk and cook for 5 minutes more.
Serve between heated bowls and garnish with freshly chopped chives.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into ¼-inch coins
- 1 celery rib, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all purpose flour
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 8 cups (2 L) reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cup (625 mL) cooked wild rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup (250 mL) fat-free evaporated milk
- freshly chopped chives, for serving
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt and pepper