Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Cook potato in broth until almost tender. Add egg noodles during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain and reserve broth.
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Melt 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp (20 mL) of butter in non-stick pan over medium high heat. Sauté chicken with diced onion until soft and lightly browned.
Add shredded cabbage, thyme, paprika, salt and black pepper. Sauté and stir until cabbage is wilted and beginning to brown.
Add vinegar scraping up brown bits and cook until liquid has evaporated.
Add cooked potatoes, egg noodles and reserved broth. Mix in poppy seeds, Dijon mustard and sour cream and stir to combine. Spray a 3 quart (3 L) oblong baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. Spread the casserole evenly in the dish.
Make fresh bread crumbs by ripping whole grain bread into very small pieces (i.e., smaller than dime size). Use clean hands to work remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of butter into fresh bread crumbs and then toss in fresh parsley; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until bubbling and top is golden brown.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) egg noodles, fine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onions, diced
- 4 cups (1 L) green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) poppy seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream, light
- 2 slices rye
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- cooking oil spray
This recipe doubles and freezes well.