Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Poach the chicken in enough water to cover over low heat. Remove from heat and cool. Dice chicken into smaller pieces approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) square.
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, sliced mushroom and shredded kale. Sauté and stir for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cooked chicken and cooked wild rice.
Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the chicken broth, evaporated milk, salt, black pepper, minced dill, parsley and marjoram. Simmer for 10 more minutes until sauce is thickened.
To assemble, remove phyllo sheets from package. Return remainder to box and refrigerate for another use. Use kitchen brush to paint bottom of pie plate with olive oil and top with fillo sheets. Stagger sheets around plate so they hang over and can be drawn up and over filling to encase the pie. Use a pastry brush to sprinkle olive oil between sheets as you go. The oil heats and expands during baking helping the phyllo to be crispier but don't over do it as you don't want the pie to be greasy. Spread filling over phyllo and draw sheets up and over filling towards centre of pie. Use your brush to spread a bit of oil over top of sheets. Sprinkle with sweet paprika and poppy seeds for a decorative affect.
Bake pie in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 45-60 minutes or until top is lightly browned and filling is set.
Cut into six wedges and serve.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1.7 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 1 cup (250 mL) wild rice, cooked
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) green onion(s), sliced
- 8 oz (230 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, shredded
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) evaporated milk, partly skimmed, 2% MF
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dill, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 - 2 tbsp (15 mL) marjoram, fresh, minced
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, about 200 g
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, for brushing on phyllo