Place rack above centre of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Grease a baking sheet.
Using a fork, stir flour with baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Work in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese.
Make a well in the centre. Pour in milk and stir just until moistened. Turn out onto a floured cutting board. Pat the scone dough into a 6 inch (15 cm) circle about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick.
Cut each into 6 wedges. Lift wedges onto greased baking sheet, placing about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart for crusty-sided scones or 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart for soft-sided scones. Bake above oven centre until golden, from 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove the scones from the oven and transfer onto a rack to cool. While the scones cool make the filling. In a medium sized bowl combine the chicken, cucumber, celery, dill, mayonnaise, yogurt and salt and pepper.
Once the scones have cooled split them in half and divide the filling between them.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk, cold
- 1 chicken breast, cooked, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely-diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dill, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt, 0% MF