Add white wine to a shallow skillet and slowly bring to a boil on medium low heat. Add chicken breasts, cover and poach approximately 20 minutes over medium low heat or until chicken is cooked through and it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Turn off and allow chicken to cool in juices. Reserve the pan juices.
Remove meat from bone and shred. Set aside.
Turn heat to medium high and boil wine broth until reduced to ¼ cup (60 mL).
Meanwhile make croutons using half of a wholegrain baguette. Slice baguette in half down the centre. Brush both sides with olive oil. Cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) square cubes. Toss with finely minced garlic. Place on baking sheet and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Make the vinaigrette by combining shallots, lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir in hot wine and allow it to cool then whisk in olive oil.
Tear romaine lettuce into bite size pieces and divide among the 4 dinner plates. Sprinkle with parsley. Top with garlic croutons, shredded chicken and vinaigrette.
Garnish each plate with Romano cheese.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) sauvignon blanc white wine
- 8 in whole grain baguette
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 12 cups (3 L) Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Romano cheese, grated
150 grams of baguette is ½ of a 16 inch baguette.