Cook pasta according to package directions
About one minute before it finishes cooking add the pea pods. Drain and rinse with cold water.
In a large bowl, add pasta, pea pods, chicken, celery, parsley, Saskatoon berries, red pepper, red onion, and basil.
Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
Toss salad with dressing, cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight to blend flavours.
Before serving, toss with the parmesan cheese.
- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) chicken, cooked, diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) Penne
- 3 cups (750 mL) rotini
- 3 cups (750 mL) shells
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar snap peas, in pods
- 1 cup (250 mL) Saskatoon berries, fresh
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red pepper(s), finely-chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red onion(s), chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp (30 mL) basil, fresh, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup (250 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
Saskatoon bushes grow wild on many prairie farms and the berry is similar in flavour to a blueberry. If Saskatoons aren’t available, use blueberries.
TIP: A quick way to get cooked chicken is to buy a rotisserie chicken from your local store. A 3 lb / 1.5 kg rotisserie chicken provides 2 ½ - 3 cups of boneless, skinless meat.