Chop onion, slice carrots and dice acorn squash. For convenience, try frozen diced squash or cut packaged fresh squash available in the produce department.
Pour 6 cups (1.5 L) of cold water into a large soup pot that has a tight fitting lid. Add small amount of turmeric for colour, as well as onion, carrot and squash and bring to a boil. Simmer with lid on over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Remove chicken pieces and set aside. Once cool, remove meat from bones and dice into bite-size pieces. Add back to the pot with broken whole wheat spaghetti and simmer an additional 15 minutes. Add fresh minced parsley and dill and serve.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, approximately 4 pieces
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- turmeric, pinch
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 4 carrot(s), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) acorn squash, diced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat spaghetti, broken
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dill, fresh, minced
Recipe doubles and freezes well.