Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the spaghetti squash on the baking sheet, cut side down and roast until tender, about 45 minutes.
Place the tomato sauce on the stove to simmer.
In a mixing bowl combine the chicken, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley, oregano, basil, chili flakes and salt and pepper. Use your hands to blend the ingredients and shape into 2-inch (5 cm) meatballs.
Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and sear on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer them into the simmering tomato sauce, cover, and simmer until fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
Using a fork, scrape out the spaghetti squash and divide between dishes. Top with meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and freshly-chopped parsley.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spaghetti squash, medium, halved and cored
- 3 cups (750 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, finely-chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 1 pinch hot red chili pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parsley, fresh, finely-chopped (for garnish)