In a shallow saucepan bring wine, onion, peppercorns and bay leaf to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add chicken and poach lightly, turning once for about 5 minutes. Remove to plate and discard liquid.
Dredge chicken cutlets in seasoned breadcrumbs.
Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown cutlets on both sides until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Keep warm.
Melt remaining butter and sage in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until light golden brown in colour. Let cool slightly.
In a small bowl whisk together egg yolk and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in butter-sage mixture while whisking into egg mixture until smooth and thickened slightly. Whisk in salt and pepper and spoon over cutlets to serve.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 thin sliced chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb/550 g)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- pinch each salt and fresh ground pepper
When drizzling in the brown butter, try not to whisk in the butter solids at the bottom of the pan.