Slice each chicken thigh into four strips going across the grain.
Heat oil over medium high heat in a non-stick pan. Add chicken, onion and garlic and sauté over medium-high heat; until browned and thoroughly cooked with no pink inside. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Add sliced mushrooms and red pepper strips. Sauté for 3 minutes.
Stir in paprika, caraway seeds, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over chicken and vegetables; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in stock and tomato paste; cook, stirring often, until thickened enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly then stir in sour cream.
Top with minced fresh parsley.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) red pepper(s), sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) caraway seed
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream, light
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
A quick and easy skillet meal. Serve with noodles or boiled potatoes.