Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Peel onions and cut into ½” (1 cm) thick slices (should make about 2 cups/500 mL).
Heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions; cover and cook for approximately 30 minutes, stirring regularly, until onions are caramelized (onions should be a caramel colour).
Remove cover and increase heat to medium-high. Add vinegar, salt and pepper and stir. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until vinegar evaporates.
Add sliced cooked chicken, fresh minced basil and garlic. Sauté another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Split English muffin and toast lightly. Place on baking pan. Spread each half with a tablespoon (15 mL) of cream cheese and a teaspoon (5 mL) of pesto. Divide sliced chicken and caramelized onions among muffins. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) chicken, cooked, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Vidalia onion(s), medium
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil, fresh, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 English muffins, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pesto
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
Serve as an appetizer or with a meal like you would garlic bread. The recipe also works well with mini bagels for smaller bite-size appetizers.