Season chicken with salt and pepper, let it rest for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the chicken pieces in batches and sear until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes per batch. Transfer browned chicken to a plate.
Once the chicken is browned, add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in the oregano and cinnamon, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, stock and browned chicken. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in orzo and cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes more or until orzo is tender. Stir in the olives. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into heated bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) chicken skin-on bone-in drumsticks and thighs
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 14 fl oz (415 mL) (414 mL) diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) black olives
- 1 cup (250 mL) orzo
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) kosher salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped parsley, for serving