Begin by bringing the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium-sized pot, and keep warm while making the risotto.
In a medium pot or deep skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. When the butter looks frothy, add the onions and begin to sauté over medium-low heat until softened and translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the Arborio and stir to toast for 2 minutes. You will hear a faint crackling sound.
Add the wine and adjust heat to avoid boiling the liquid. Stir until the wine is almost completely absorbed. Add the chicken and the corn and stir for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Add two (2) ladles of stock into the risotto and begin to stir gently. Once it has absorbed continue to add the stock one ladle at a time, about 30 minutes or until al dente. Make sure to taste risotto to ensure it is cooked to your liking.
Taste and season the risotto with salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan cheese and half the chives.
Divide risotto between bowls and top with extra Parmesan cheese and remaining chives.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Spanish onion(s), finely-chopped
- 1 1/4 cup (315 mL) Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn, frozen, fresh or canned (drain and rinse if canned)
- 5 cups (1.25 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chives, finely-chopped