Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink inside. Add onion and garlic and reduce heat to medium. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Wash and slice mushrooms, carrot and celery. Mince the fresh thyme. Add to ground chicken and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms.
Add tomato paste, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to coat vegetables. Add water and barley. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
Rinse canned beans, add to mixture and heat through.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) ground chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) mushrooms, large
- 1 carrot(s), large
- 1 stalk celery, large
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce, low-sodium
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 1 can black beans
Freeze remaining fresh thyme in a zip lock bag for use in other recipes.
This hearty soup makes a quick one-bowl meal. Serve with multigrain crusty bread.