In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken breasts in oil. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add onion, celery, red pepper, garlic, cayenne, and tumeric to skillet and sauté over medium heat until onions are soft. Add barley and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, and chicken.
Cover and cook over medium heat until the barley is tender and the liquid has been absorbed (about 25 minutes).
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 red onion, medium, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) turmeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearl barley
- 1 can (796 mL) canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth, hot