Slice chicken into ½ inch wide (1 cm) strips, then into bite-size lengths. Toast nuts by spreading out in a frying pan set over medium heat and stir often until they just start to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn onto a plate. Toss with a generous pinch of salt and chili powder.
Prepare remaining ingredients before starting to cook. Thinly slice pepper, then cut into bite-size lengths. Cut zucchini into julienne strips. Thinly slice celery and the white part of the green onions. Thickly slice the green portion.
Mince garlic and ginger. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with sherry until dissolved. Then stir in soy, hoisin and rice wine vinegar.
To cook, heat canola oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir constantly until it loses its pink color, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chicken broth, 1 tsp (5mL) chili powder, red chili pepper flakes and ½ tsp (5 mL) salt. Stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Add all the vegetables and stir another 2 minutes.
Pour in the cornstarch mixture and stir almost constantly until vegetables are done as you like and sauce is coating chicken, about 3 minutes. Mix in half the cashews. Then spoon over rice and scatter with remaining nuts.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 - 1 cup (250 mL) cashews
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, large, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sherry
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes