Coat chicken with flour on all sides. This is easily done in a freezer bag.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and any remaining flour.
Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, garlic and apples for 3 minutes. Add brandy, sage, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Return chicken pieces to the pan. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is thoroughly cooked, juices run clear when pierced with a knife and the internal temperature of each chicken breast reaches 165°F (74°C).
Top each serving with the brandy sage sauce and garnish with fresh sage leaves and slivers of green apple. Serve immediately.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), minced
- 3 Granny Smith apple(s), sliced (save 8 slivers for garnish)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brandy
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sage, fresh, minced (save 4 + leaves for garnish)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Try other tart, firm apples instead of Granny Smith. Use an apple brandy instead of regular brandy.