Combine the chicken legs and back with water, barley, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and bay leaf in a soup pot. Cover and simmer for one hour. Remove chicken from pot to cool and cover soup to keep hot. Remove meat from bones and shred using hands or kitchen scissors. Add back to pot.
Heat oil over medium high heat in a non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and garlic. Add the red potatoes and cook over moderately high heat until they begin to brown.
Add sautéed vegetables and the frozen lima beans to the pot. Simmer until the barley and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the canned tomatoes with liquid. Break tomatoes into smaller pieces using the back of a spoon. Season with dry oregano, salt and pepper and simmer until piping hot, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, top with the queso/cheese and diced avocado. Add a fresh sprig of parsley (optional garnish).
- Serves: 12
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) skinless chicken legs and back
- 8 cups (2 L) water
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) barley, unhulled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) paprika, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) red onion(s), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) red potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) lima beans, frozen
- 14 oz (400 g) canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) queso fresco (Mexican fresh cheese)
- 2 avocado
- 12 sprigs parsley