Prepare the bannock crust. Scrub the sweet potato. Pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 10–12 minutes, turning occasionally until tender. Remove from the microwave to cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl blend flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until reduced to pea-sized pieces. Scoop sweet potato flesh into a medium bowl and mash until smooth, adding 1-2 tablespoons (15–30 mL) of water will help. Add the sweet potato mash and ¼ cup (60 mL) water to the flour. Mix to combine, if dough is too dry, add 1–3 tablespoons (15–45 mL) of water.
Lightly flour a work surface. Knead dough 10–12 times until it comes together in a uniform ball. Flatten into a disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Meanwhile, begin assembling the filling. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet or heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the onions, carrot and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, rosemary, thyme and chili flakes, cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
Deglaze the skillet with ¼ cup (60 mL) of wine. Add remaining wine, cooked chicken, stock, and half and half. Season filling with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until slightly thickened, and chicken is heated through. Stir in peas and chopped hazelnuts. Transfer filling mixture into an 8" x 8" (2 L) baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet.
Remove bannock dough from the refrigerator and roll out into an 9" x 9" (23 cm) square. Arrange on top of chicken filling. Bake for 45-55 minutes until crust is golden and no longer raw underneath.
Let the bannock pie rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 10 oz (285 g) crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme
- pinch dried red chili flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) half and half
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely-chopped hazelnuts
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 tsp (11.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ice water