Remove the zest from one lemon using a zester or a sharp knife to make 4 teaspoons (20 mL) zest. As you remove the yellow peel try to avoid removing the white pith which is bitter. Prepare 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice and set aside.
Cook brown rice in unsalted water according to package directions. Add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) lemon zest and 3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh lemon juice to cooking water at the beginning of cooking.
In a medium bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, shredded parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon zest, minced garlic, dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper.
Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally making four thinner pieces. Add chicken to yogurt mixture and use a fork to turn and coat well. Place in baking dish sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pour any leftover marinade over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 165°F (74°C).
To serve place a piece of the Greek yogurt chicken over top of the lemony brown rice. Garnish with finely sliced green onion (optional garnish).
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 tsp (20 mL) lemon zest, fresh, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice, long grain,dry
- 2 cups (500 mL) water or according to package directions for the rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) Greek yogurt, plain, 2% MF
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, leaf, dried
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 large chicken breast, boneless, skinless (about 1 pound - 450 grams)
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) paprika, sweet
- 1 green onion, raw, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
Greek Yogurt Chicken also cooks nicely on the BBQ or grill.
Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt as it has some of the liquid drained off.