Cook rice in boiling unsalted water according to package directions.
Sauté chicken and onion with oregano chili powder and cumin in a non-stick skillet until cooked through.
Add raisins, cocoa powder, water, tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, tomato paste, and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and cook until the liquid is almost gone.
Stir in cooked rice.
Dice avocado and sprinkle with fresh lime juice.
To assemble burritos, scoop a generous ½ cup (125 mL) filling on each tortilla and top with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) shredded cheese and some of the chopped avocado. Fold in sides and roll-up to enclose filling.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 8 10 inch whole wheat tortillas
- 3/4 lb (0.4 kg) extra lean ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) short grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dried
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) seedless raisins
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 tomato(es), fresh, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 green pepper(s), minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, fresh
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cheddar cheese, grated
Serve with additional garnishes, such as minced cilantro and your favourite salsa. If you like your food less spicy, omit the chipotle in adobo sauce. Freeze individual burritos (minus the avocado) for convenient pack and go lunches.