Cut the bottom 2 inches (5 cm) of the lemongrass stalk and peel off outer layer before mincing. Heat a large soup pot on medium-high. Cut chicken into bite size pieces ½ inch (1.25 cm) square and add to pot.
Add the rice, cold water, chicken broth, red chili pepper flakes, white pepper, fish sauce, kefir lime leaves and lemongrass to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
Add mushrooms, red pepper, shallots and ginger to the soup. Reduce heat, keep covered and simmer until rice is tender – about 45 minutes.
Season the soup with lime juice and salt.
To serve, ladle chicken into bowls and garnish with green onion, a few celery leaves and the chopped peanuts.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 1 cup (250 mL) jasmine rice (preferably brown)
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes, crushed or flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) white pepper, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fish sauce
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemongrass, fresh, finely minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) leek(s), white and light green part only, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) red pepper(s), chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shallots, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) green onion(s), sliced
- 10 sprigs celery leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peanuts, dry roasted, chopped
It’s easier to clean leeks after they are sliced in a bowl of cold water.