Heat the oil, over medium-high heat, in a large, heavy Dutch oven. When hot, add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and lemon grass. Season and sauté until the onion has softened but not browned.
Add the curry paste and sauté for 30 seconds longer.
Add the chicken stock, water, fish sauce and herbs and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer the stock for 20 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and the butternut squash and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until the squash begins to become tender.
Add the beans and chicken and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the beans are cooked.
Just before serving finish the curry with the chopped fresh herbs and lime juice to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onion(s), medium
- 2 cloves garlic, finely-chopped
- 1 piece ginger, 2 cm, peeled, finely-chopped
- 1 chilli, fresh, seeded, finely-chopped
- 1 piece lemongrass root, 7 cm, bashed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry paste
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 sprig Thai basil
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- 1 can coconut milk, 400 ml
- 2 lb (1 kg) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 12 oz (345 g) chicken, cooked, shredded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai basil, fresh, finely-chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mint, fresh, finely-chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro, fresh, finely-chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Tie the Thai basil and cilantro sprigs together with string.