Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to brown, 7 – 8 minutes. Add garlic to onions and cook for another minute.
Add chicken to onion mixture and break up with wooden spoon. Season with mustard powder, curry powder, chili flakes and salt. Cook until no pink remains in chicken, about 6 minutes.
Stir cornstarch with water, maple syrup, lime juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Stir in to chicken mixture and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool, 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Lightly brush halved spring roll sheets with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Working one at a time, place filling by the tablespoon full at the bottom of a pastry strip. Take left corner across filling and place it on the right side to form a triangle. Fold it over again to form a next triangle, then take the right corner to left side and continue folding until strip is used up and no open edges remain. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Place samosas on prepared sheet and brush with oil. Bake until golden, 25 – 30 minutes.
Makes 24 samosas
- Serves: 24
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped (180 g) (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 450 g ground chicken
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 bosc pear, peeled and grated (220 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) soy sauce
- 12 spring roll pastry sheets (8”x8”), cut in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Serve dip alongside samosas.