Combine ground chicken, salt, egg, oats, cilantro, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch, hot pepper sauce, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger and garlic.
Shape mixture into 16 meatballs.
In pot with lid, combine remaining ingredients, except green onions and peppers. Add meatballs. Cover, bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat until sauce thickens and meatballs are cooked through (approximately 20 minutes) or until a meat thermometer inserted into the chicken pieces reads 165°F (74°C). Stir in green onion and peppers and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, stir in more orange juice.
Serve meatballs on serving platter over cooked rice or egg noodles. Garnish with more sesame seeds and minced cilantro.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) oats, large flake
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cilantro, fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) ketchup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- salt, to taste