Trim any visible fat from chicken and set aside. Pour broth into a large wide saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, tomato sauce, seasonings and salt. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat so mixture just simmers.
Slice sausages into ½ inch (1 cm) pieces as best you can or remove casings and roll into ½ inch (1 cm) rounds. Add to the broth. Cover and simmer while preparing chicken and veggies.
Meanwhile cut chicken into small pieces, no more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide. Coarsely chop green pepper and tomatoes. Then stir chicken, green pepper and tomatoes including juice into the mixture all at once. Increase heat so it comes to a boil, stir in the rice. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until rice is done as you like, a total of about 45 minutes. To prevent rice from sticking, stir gently every 15 minutes being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Stir in coriander and serve sprinkled with additional coriander if you like.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 6 to 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 4 skinless boneless breasts
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) chicken broth
- 2 white cooking onions or 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper including seeds, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime (optional)
- 213 ml can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each of ground cumin and paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of allspice and salt
- 3 uncooked chorizo sausage or hot Italian or Andouille sausages
- 1 large sweet green pepper
- 4 ripe but firm tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) long grain rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped coriander or flat leaf parsley