Combine sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, sage, oregano, cumin and coriander and rub all over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
Place quartered onion in cavity of chicken and place in preheated 350°F (175°C) smoker. Close lid and smoke for about 1 ½ hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of the leg reaches 180 F (82 C). Remove from smoker and let cool until easy enough to handle and remove onion and reserve. Remove meat from the bones.
Chop chicken meat and place in large bowl. Finely dice reserved red onion and add ½ cup (125 mL) to the chicken. Stir in tomato, mango, cilantro and salt.
Using a rasp, remove ½ tsp (2.5 mL) of lime zest and add to bowl. Juice lime and stir into chicken mixture.
Unroll pastry sheets and cut each into 4 squares. Fill each with about ⅓ cup (75 mL) of the chicken mixture. Fold into triangle and press edges to seal. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush empanadas with egg wash. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serves: 16
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried sage leaves and oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 chicken, about 2 lb/1 kg
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 mango, finely diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 lime
- 2 pkgs (400 g each) butter puff pastry sheets